- Winter World: The Ingenuity of Animal Survival – Bernd Heinrich, 2003 – quotes pulled, review tdb
- Homegoing – Yaa Gyasi, 2016 – quotes pulled, review tdb
- Queen Lucia – E.F. Benson, 1920 – re-read of a super-duper favorite of comfort reading
- The Untouchable – John Banville, 1997 – quotes pulled, review tdb
- 48 Peaks: Hiking and Healing in the White Mountains – Cheryl Suchors, 2018 – An impulse pick at the lovely Lilly Library in Florence when I had a little time to kill. Like Wild it didn’t make me want to do huge hikes, but these are closer to the types I do enjoy – the White Mountains are within reach, and a friend had already mentioned the Franconia Ridge Loop as a someday/maybe/bucket list adventure. As a memoir it’s nice enough. I very much enjoyed the author’s honesty about the ups and downs of hiking with friends, especially interpersonal issues.
- The House of the Spirits – Isabelle Allende, 1982 (tr. Magda Bogin) – quotes pulled, review tdb
Notable magazine article: The Structure of Equality – Nathan Heller – New Yorker, 1/7/2019 – fascinating, thought-provoking, and rings true to me