Adams, Richard:The Girl in a Swing
, 1980 - One of my all-time favorites. A+Maia
, 1984 - ditto, although in some ways too self-indulgent. A+
Binchy, MaeveThe Copper Beech
, 1992 - B+The Lilac Bus: Stories
, 1992 (originally two novels, 1982 and 1984) - A-. The first Binchy I ever read and still one of my favorites.
Blyton, Enid - Third Year at Malory Towers
, 1948 - C+
Card, Orson Scott:The Folk of the Fringe
, 1989 - B-Lost Boys
, 1992 - A-
Collins, Wilkie - The Moonstone
, 1868 - B. Funny and well-written, but I had forgotten how unbelievable the plot is.
Cross, Amanda, In the Last Analysis
, 1964 - B.
Curtis, Christopher Paul - Bucking the Sarge,
2004. The ending isn't very satisfactory, but Curtis is still one of the best new writers for kids out there. B+
Delafield, E. M. - The Diary of a Provincial Lady
, 1931 - A
DiCamillo, Kate - The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
- 2006. B+
Durrell, Gerald - The Bafut Beagles
, 1954 - B+. I idolized Durrell as a child, but some of his attitudes are a little hard to take now.
Eager, Edward:Half Magic
- 1954 - AKnight's Castle
- 1956 - AMagic By the Lake
- 1957 - A-Seven-Day Magic
- 1962 - A-
Enss, Chris - Hearts West : True Stories of Mail Order Brides on the Frontier
- 2005. Slight, but interesting because of the primary source letters and advertisements included. B-
Finney, JackAssault on a Queen
, 1959 - B-. My least favorite Finney; grim and devoid of his usual quirkiness. I think I'll get rid of it.Forgotten News: The Crime of the Century and Other Lost Stories
, 1983 - B+
- 1972Amphigorey II
Like nothing else, but don't have nearly the appeal to me now they did when I was a teenager.
Grove, Andrew S. - One on One With Andy Grove: How to Manage Your Boss, Yourself and Your Coworkers
, 1987 - B+. Lots of decent common sense.
Henry, Marguerite - King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
, 1948 - A-
Horne, S. Hamill - Camp Choconut : a history of the boys' camp near Friendsville, Pennsylvania
- 2005. Just a few miles from our house, so I was interested. Cool to hear about created traditions that work--"heads and heels," "the Villa Hunt," "the Blinded Wanderer." B
Jansson, Tove - Moonminvalley in November
- 1971 - B. No Moomins in this one, just their long shadows as Snufkin, the Hemulen, the fillyjonk and a few new characters move into the Moomin house.
Kipling, Rudyard:The Complete Stalky & Co.
- 1930 - B+. Some stories that weren't in my Stalky as a teen. I idolized Stalky. Now a lot of it is either opaque or offensive.The Jungle Book
- 1894 - AKim
, 1901 - AThe Second Jungle Book
- 1895 - A ("Red Dog" was always one of my favorite stories; doesn't hold up quite that
Lang, Andrew (editor) - The Green Fairy Book
- 1892 - A. Introduced by saying "this is ... probably the last of the Fairy Books of many colors." Ha! Like comic books (and music to a certain extent), it seems that the exemplars I was exposed to at a formative age have much the strongest hold on my imagination and emotions--this, Flora Steel's English Fairy Tales
, the single-volume Grimm and selection of Hans Christian Anderson tales are THE fairy stories for me still.
LeGuin, UrsulaThe Lathe of Heaven
, 1971 - A+. A perfect novel.The Telling
- 2000 - A. I have bookmarks in it for quotes I wanted to repeat. Will read again within a few years.Very Far Away From Anywhere Else
- 1976 - B+
Levin, Ira - A Kiss Before Dying - 1953 - Suspense classic. B+
Libbrecht, Kenneth; photos by Patricia Rasmussen - The Snowflake: Winter's Secret Beauty
- 2003. Amazing. A
McCaffrey, Anne - Crystal Singer
, 1982 - B. Wonderful descriptions of food!
Mitford, Nancy - The Blessing
, 1951 - A+. Brilliant and very funny; I've read it many times since I was a teenager, and it never gets old.
Montgomery, Sy - The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood
- 2006. B
Nabokov, Vladimir (edited by Alfred Appel Jr) - The Annotated Lolita
- 1991 - Novel A+, annotations B.
Nesbit, E: (Edith):The Book of Dragons
- Watermill edition 1987 - BThe Enchanted Castle
- 1907 - A+Five Children and It
- 1902 - A+The Phoenix and the Carpet
- 1904 - A+The New Treasure Seekers
- 1904 - B-The Railway Children
- ? - B+. Only now do I see the problem of this family's toxic secret hiding...The Story of the Amulet
- c 1901, first published 1906 - AOxford Book of Fantasy Stories
- 1994; A Treasury of Modern Fantasy
- ed. Carr and Greenberg - 1981. I read every word of these so I could give them away without that sense of missing something... and now I have no memory of them whatsoever. But they have authors I'd like to be complete on, like A. Merritt and Jack Vance, so now I want to keep them... at this rate I will never shrink my collection!
Nichols, Beverley - No Man's Street
, 1954 - B. Nichols was quite a hack, so it's not suprising that this doesn't have as much flavor as his garden memoirs (what he really loved). Too bad, though--I was very excited to find this at an estate sale for a buck!
Parker, Richard - The House that Guilda Drew
- 1963 - B. In Australia, Guilda and her family finally find a house to live in.
Peddiwell, J. Abner - The Saber-Tooth Curriculum
- 1939 - Brilliant! A-
Roach, Mary - Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
- 2003. Fascinating book and wonderful attitude: to want to be useful after one's death. A-
Schulz, Charles M. - Young Pillars: The Creator of Peanuts Takes a Look At Young Church People
- 1958 - C+. A curiosity I'm getting rid of now. Take Linus and stretch him to six feet tall, then give him a one-panel strip with very, very weak jokes...
Sedaris, David - Me Talk Pretty One Day
- 2000. B+
Strieber, Whitley and James KunetkaNature's End
, 1986 - A-War Day
- 1984 - A-
Tannen, Deborah - You're Wearing That? Understanding Mothers and Daughters in Conversation
- 2006. Tannen is always wonderful. A-
Voltaire - Candide
(edition illustrated by Rockwell Kent, 1963). Since the 2004 elections, I've been feeling like all I can do is cultivate my garden...